If there is a need for uninstalling the Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus suite from an enrolled Windows 10 device. This is possible with Microsoft Intune and the use of XML.
- Windows 10 1909 (20H1) “insider”
- Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus installed.
- Oracle Virtual box for hosting the client.
- Azure AD Group created, that is used to give membership to Windows 10 devices that needs to have Office365 Pro Plus uninstalled. I call it Remove Office 365 Pro Plus suite.
Note: See more information on how to create devices or users groups in Intune here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/fundamentals/groups-add
- Windows 10 PRO or ENT
- Enrolled device
- Microsoft Intune
- License for Intune
Lets start configure and add the device configuration policy.
- Login to the Intune portal -> https://devicemanagement.microsoft.com
- Browse to Client apps – Apps and click +Add:
- Click on App type and select Windows 10 and also select Enter XML data under Settings format:
- Click on App Suite Information and enter a Suite Name and Suite Description then hit OK:
- Now to the Enter XML data field – Click On Learn more and it leads to another Microsoft site:
- Push Ctrl+F for searching the site – Enter Deployment tool as keyword to find the Office deployment tool section, then click on the link highlighted to read more about Office deployment tool (ODT) (optional):
- After reading about ODT and XMLs then the easy part comes. Goto https://config.office.com/ to create and export the uninstall XML file that is needed for uninstalling the Office products.
- Now click Sign In:
Note: Continue without signing in? Its possible to use this shortcut for creating a XML that is used for office365 Pro Plus installation but not uninstall purpose.
- Under Customization (Standard configurations) and all the way down at the bottom of the page you will find Uninstall all Office products:
- Select it and click Download:
- After download Edit the file called “Uninstall All Office Products.xml” and copy all text:
- Now go back to the Intune portal under Enter XML data field and paste the XML text you just copied from the XML file, then click OK:
- Just click Add to finish:
- Its time to assign this configuration policy to a group of devices – Click Assignments – Add Group – Select Required:
- Now click Included Groups and select the group that is created for this purpose and click OK:
- Click then Save:
Now push a sync from the portal or device directly:
Lets see the result.
- Before the sync was made:
- And after the sync:
- This verification of the Office365 Pro Plus removal directly from the Microsoft Intune portal: