Back in mid August Microsoft added a new setting to Intune regarding the CSV file that Windows AutoPilot used to identifying a Windows 10 device belongs to certain company and a automated enrollment can be processed. Windows Autopilot basically lets you customize the out-of-box experience (OOBE) for your users.
In this scenario we are adding a new column “Assigned user” to the CSV file that we exported from a Windows 10 device that will join our Windows Autopilot Deployment Program. The purpose of adding the “Assigned user” to the CSV can be useful to administrators for automation processes. The hardware provider may also be able to help add this information to the CVS file when new hardware are purchased.
Read more about how to harvest and export the hardware informations of the Windows 10 device here -> : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/business/add-autopilot-devices-and-profile
- Windows 10 PRO/ENT version 1703 or higher is required.
- Windows AutoPilot is a Azure AD Premium feature and therefore users needs a Azure AD Premium P1 license or Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security (EM+S) E3/E5 or the top of the pop license Microsoft 365 E3/E5.
- Network connection.
Now lets add the Assign users column to the CSV file.
- Open the CSV file in Excel or NotePad++
- Add Assigned User after Hardware Hash:
Note: Remember always to seperate the columns with a comma “,”
- Now add User Principal Name (UPN) at the end of all the characters in row two.
Note: Also remember to seperate the cell text with a comma “,”
- Logon to the Intune portal -> https://devicemanagement.microsoft.com
- Browse to Device enrollment – Windows enrollment and click Devices.
- Now click Import:
- Find and add the CSV file then click Import:
- Check that the device are added successfully in the upper right corner.
Note: It can take up till 15 min. before a device are imported.
- Now under Windows Autopilot devices click on the device just added and see that the user has been assigned.
Note: A direct user assignment is also possible by clicking Assign user from the Intune portal:
- Now start the Windows 10 device and see the user welcome box and follow the OOBE.
Note: Sorry for the danish layout 🙂